Coffee maker question

RVFTA Podcast Network RVFTA Forums Camp Food Coffee maker question

This topic contains 14 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  RVFamilyTravelAtlas 7 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

LilRitch
    Participant

I’m hoping this doesn’t open a can of worm… I’ve read lots of discussions and heard the podcast on coffee while camping. I need my morning coffee like many others but I’m Not very picky. At home I use a Keurig. I’m curious why I haven’t heard or read much about the small single cup makers. Are they just not good or is there something else? I love a French press when someone else is setting up and cleaning it. I prefer to hit a button and glare at the machine until it is done. Is there a reason, aside from preference, that folks don’t use a coffee maker?

Ali from SE PA
    Still RV dreaming

Brett

Personally I think it is just preference. My in-laws have a small Keurig in their trailer and love it.

If you are camping with limited power the single cup style machines might not be a great option. However if you generally have hookups; I don’t see why not if you like the coffee that it makes.

Brett Neilson - Utah
    Western Correspondent
    Blog: OurCampingAdventures.com / Instagram: instagrabln

travelswithbirdy

We had been regularly using a Keurig at home, but I didn’t want to buy another one for the trailer (and our home one would take up a bunch of the trailer counter). I switched to the pour over method and found it to be a great solution. It’s much cheaper than the Keurig (at $5 for a pour over device versus $100 for a Keurig) and produces less waste. After starting to do this in the trailer, I made the switch at home. My son still uses our Keurig, but I let him know that when this one dies, it’ll be our last one since I won’t want to pay for another (we are on our 3rd machine). So, for us, the price and space were deciding factors.

Kerri
    Blogs at travelswithbirdy.com
    Birdy = our Jayco 184BH travel trailer
    Librarian, Grad School Student, & Mama to 2 boys
    Midwest Correspondent for Campground of the Week

braye
    Participant

We had this discussion when we bought our camper this year. My fiancé has a love for French press coffee, but I’m not a fan of the mess. We thought about the single serve keurig, but the k cups get expensive. We bought a regular coffee make to keep in the camper and so far it has worked well for us. I guess one thing to consider is how much coffee you drink in the mornings, if it’s multiple cups them a coffe maker will keep you from having to brew a new cup each time. If it’s only one, the single serve may be the way to go.

Brandi - Happy Camper in Mi
    Springdale Summerland Mini BH
    3 boys, me and a black lab named Charlie

DeanCHS1980

Hi All,

I did not start drinking coffee until I was 50 (about 3.5 years ago) when my teenage daughters who love Starbuck’s converted me. Now I grind my own beans and drink 2 to 3 cups every morning! 😉

I have a standard coffee maker at home and a French press. Since we started camping this year, I debated how to do coffee. I copied Kerri and used the pour over. Here is an example for $4:

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/melitta-pour-over-single-cup-brewing-cone/1010182077?skuId=10182077&mcid=PS_googlepla_nonbrand_kitchenelectrics_&adpos=1o1&creative=43742642989&device=t&matchtype=&network=g&product_id=10182077&gclid=COuDqv7ugM4CFZaMaQodrjQE1Q

We have a electric water pitcher for boiling water. Laura likes tea. I like coffee, so it works for us. I use the Melitta pour over cone. It works fine. I have found that I have to use a bit more coffee and I use more coffee filters due to 1 filter per cup (plus it takes a cone filter, no big deal).

By the way, Kerri got me on Instagram, too! Go Kerri!!!! 😉

Take care,

Dean

Laura and Dean May | '05 Casita 17' Freedom Deluxe | '09 Kia Borrego V8 2WD

travelswithbirdy

Glad to hear you’ve enjoyed both the pour over and the Instagram! We’ve all enjoyed checking out pictures of that cute little camper you have!

Kerri

Kerri
      Blogs at travelswithbirdy.com
      Birdy = our Jayco 184BH travel trailer
      Librarian, Grad School Student, & Mama to 2 boys
      Midwest Correspondent for Campground of the Week

legalwood
    Participant

Call me old school, but I’m all about the coffee maker on the morning!! If we have power (a rare occurrence for us), I lug my keurig from my kitchen to the camper. (It stays in the outdoor kitchen so it’s not wasting counter space inside). But most of our dry camping trips are fueled by my propane stove top drip coffee maker by Coleman. I keep that in the outdoor kitchen as well and first thing in the morning, I pull out the outdoor stove and start a pot. Takes about ten minutes to brew a pot and I glare less than I did when we used to put a percolator pot on the fire (after hubby spent 20 minutes making a fire). Percolator coffee was awful anyway.
    Jeremy’s eyes are probably rolling at the thought of my drip coffee pot but I’m a caffeine first/quality optional coffee person!

Tatiana-
    Mother of two tweens and two large Labradors
    Chevy 2500HD hauling a 2015 Jayco 32BHDS

jeremypuglisi

Tatiana,

I don’t judge! We actually use a drip coffee maker in our house all year long! Granted it is a $150 dollar Bonavita that is engineered by crafty European coffee snobs to bring the water to the proper temperature and create a near perfect cup.

Jeremy

Jeremy Puglisi
      RV and Coffee Lover. Trip Planner. Photographer. Teacher. Husband in Love With a Jersey Girl.
      Servant to Three Young Masters.
      ABC. Always Be Camping.

Scott
    Participant

Count me in the pour-over school as well. I’ve tried the Aeropress and French press on various trips, but both are just too fussy and messy. Pour over is the way to go!

When we dry camped in Yellowstone, I just made my way over to the general store for some mediocre coffee. I’ve since added a stove-top tea kettle to my Christmas camper wish list. 😉

Scott in Fort Collins, CO

2016 Jayco White Hawk 24MBH
    2014 Ford F-150 SuperCrew 5.0 V8
    Twitter & Instagram @scottelias
    Amateur Radio Callsign: AD0EO
    Nights camped in 2016: 18

hander2005

If you like the French Press, you’d probably like the AeroPress. It has a few parts, but they’re much easier to clean in the camper. My husband uses his a few times each weekend.

Heather
    2016 Winnebago Brave towing 2016 Subaru Crosstrek
    Travels with husband - Jon, Kitty Wendy, and Doggie David
    Seasonal at Luray KOA
    http://www.smoreadventures.com

legalwood
    Participant

As a follow-up, I took advantage of back to college sales and bought a single cup Keurig for the camper. My mom and her two sisters were using our camper as a guest house last month and I wasn’t parting with my full size Keurig in the house. The ladies drink coffee all day and half the night. They were perfectly satisfied with the single cup machine.

Tatiana-

jerseycamper
      Participant

Tatiana,

I’m on your side. Some day these youngsters will see the light and convert to Keurig. I’m partial to Keurig since I went to college with one of the inventors…if only I had invested in the company back then.

jerseycamper - Darryl

Central New Jersey
      2016 Jayco Jay Flight 212QBW

legalwood
      Participant

Thanks for the support, jerseycamper!

Tatiana-

legalwood
    Participant

You young whippersnappers! I started off drinking Sanka so anything better than that (and 10W40 counts) is good coffee! I’m also probably chemically preserved because that Sanka was made with Cremora and Sweet ‘n Low. It’s really amazing I’ve lived this long!

Tatiana-

Tatiana–
      I have a ridiculous soft spot for instant coffee, since I drank so much of it when I traveled in Greece ages ago. I still remember not understanding why they always said, Nescafe? when you ordered coffee. That was what they thought American’s drank. Now the taste takes me back to the islands in a heartbeat:-)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.